Visit my new website

Please check out my new website at Mended-Vessels.com, where you'll also find my blog now.

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Baby Steps and Dieting

My husband and I went to a nutrition class at the Y.

I was expecting a boring review of the food pyramid and a lecture on eating right. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised by an instructor who barely mentioned the pyramid and was realistic about what it takes to change habits.

She encouraged us to take “baby steps,” starting by drinking more water, writing down what you eat, and not eating for two hours before bedtime. I can do this, I decide.

It reminds me of the movie, What About Bob?, when Richard Dreyfuss encourages Bill Murray to take baby steps to get over his multiple phobias. It occurs to me that baby steps can be applied to other areas of life, too—such as my writing, and my spiritual walk.

I’ve been working on a novel for two years now. Or mostly thinking about it, not writing. But if I apply the baby step principle, maybe I can work on it in small chunks when I have 15 minutes instead of waiting until I have a two-hour block.

Applying the principle to my spiritual life, I will focus on getting through one day without saying something critical about someone. I will try to spend five minutes reading the Bible and praying instead of putting it off until I have 30 minutes.

Dear Jesus, help me to take “baby steps” toward becoming more like You.

No comments: