Visit my new website

Please check out my new website at Mended-Vessels.com, where you'll also find my blog now.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Signed by the Author

The conference I attended last week included a number of writers who were signing their books. I am always amazed how long people will stand in line for a book to be signed by the author.

Granted, these were not your ordinary book lovers—they all own or manage bookstores. I consider myself an “extreme” book lover, too. This is evidenced by the stacks of books in my house and the multiple books that I am reading at any one time.

Still, I had no desire to wait for as much as an hour to get an autograph. Just give me the book and let me go, thank you very much. Of course, my week was crammed with meetings, so I really didn’t have time to stand in line. And I tried really hard to avoid taking any books home with me, due to the new airline baggage fees. (I made an exception only for novels.)

Disclaimer: I have been known to queue up for certain authors in the past.

Why does having the author’s signature make a book seem more valuable? In the case of classics, it really does increase the value. Imagine what a signed copy of Huckleberry Finn would bring at Sotheby’s auction.

Do we treat ourselves with the same value? When we set out to perform a task, do we remember that the work we do is, in effect, a creation that is signed by the Author? Since God created us, He is making us into His handiwork. So whatever we do, or say, or how we act, reflects our Maker. And He always signs His work.

God, help me to remember that I am signed by the Author, and I am of great value.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, I love books too, but I haven't decided if they're just for collecting or for reading or for decorating my office - like the 2 civil war books that hold my lamp up higher.